Episode 16, from Monty Python’s Flying Circus‘s second season, takes off with a sketch in which aspiring pilot Terry Jones gets some very silly flying lessons from a wire-suspended Graham Chapman (“Up on the table, arms out, fingers together, knees bent… now flap your arms…”). A highlight of this episode is a profile of poet Ewan McTeagle (Jones again), the freeloading author of the epic verse “Can I Have 50 Pounds to Mend the Shed.” Other amusing bits include Eric Idle as a psychiatrist milkman on his rounds and Michael Palin as the increasingly unsettled host of “It’s the Mind” who is sure he has relived this episode devoted to déjà vu. Also included on volume 8 is Episode 17, “The Buzz Aldrin Show,” one of Monty Python’s best, and a must-own for fans of the Gumbies. Those thick-headed, handkerchief-bedecked, and suspender-clad characters introduce a trio of classic sketches, including the Architect Sketch, in which slaughterhouse designer John Cleese unveils his design for a residential block of flats (“The tenants are carried along on the corridor on a conveyor belt in extreme comfort past murals depicting Mediterranean scenes toward the rotating knives…”). Jones, yet again, shines in a brilliant bit of Bondian nonsense, The Bishop. –Donald Liebenson
List Price: $ 12.95
Price: $ 1.99
- Interactive language software with proprietary speech-recognition technology
- Learn fundamental vocabulary and essential language structure; navigate your surroundings
- Build intermediate-level conversational skills; spell and write accurately; speak without a script
- Audio Companion for CD or MP3 player; learning application for iPhone or iPod Touch device
- Language-enhancing games; live online lessons; includes headset with microphone
Build a foundation and navigate your surroundings. Learn fundamental vocabulary and essential language structure from greetings and introductions to simple questions and their answers. Gain the confidence to talk about your environment and enjoy basic social interactions – giving and getting directions, telling time, shopping, dining out, and more.
Build a foundation and navigate your surroundings. Learn fundamental vocabulary and essential language structure from greetings and introductions to simple questions and their answers. Gain the confidence to talk about your environment such as giving and getting directions, telling time, dining out, shopping, and enjoying basic social interactions.
What Will I Learn
- Learn the basics
- Build intermediate-level conversational skills
- Spell and write accurately
- Speak without a script
- Retain what you’ve learned
- Read and understand your new language
- Age, family relations, household items
- Questions, greetings, introductions
- Times of day, calendar terms, the weather
- Directions, locations, telling time
- Present, past and future tense
- Apologies and polite requests
- How to order at a restaurant and give and receive directions
- Emotions, opinions, and ideas
What Do I Get?
Our award-wining version, complete with proprietary speech recognition technology.
For your CD or MP3 player so you can review while on the go.
Headset with Microphone
For use with our state-of- the-art speech-recognition software.
Live Online Lessons
Practice sessions led by native speaking tutors.
Games & Community
Language-enhancing games move you towards real-world proficiency.
Learning application for your iPhone or iPod Touch device.
Recreate the natural way you learned your first language and reveal skills that you already have using Dynamic Immersion. This award-winning method has been adopted by countless organizations, schools and millions of users around the world.
Learn Naturally: Discover how to speak, read, write, and understand–all without translating or memorizing. Our award-winning solution recreates how you learned your first language, unlocking your natural abilities.
Speak Confidently: Perfect your pronunciation with speech-recognition technology. Gain the confidence in your new voice as you practice with other learners in our exclusive online community and participate in online sessions coached by native tutors.
Immerse Yourself: Be surrounded by your new language. From core lessons to online sessions, Rosetta Stone gets you engaged and interacting with others.
Stay Motivated: Experience accomplishment with each moment of achievement; with dedicated success agents you will never lose sight of your language-learning goals.
Your Natural Ability. Awakened.
Learning your first language is as natural as smiling. Effortless. Rewarding. Every step in Rosetta Stone feels like that. Clear, compelling images appear precisely, in juxtaposition, conveying meaning. Intuitively, you just know what it means.
- Our puzzle-like environments–a systematic presentation of sounds, images, and text–help learners absorb meaning intuitively.
Build your confidence and polish your pronunciation skills with state-of-the-art speech-recognition technologies and success-filled dialogues.
- Our software provides immediate and ongoing assessments of your speech through Actionable Feedback, which helps you pronounce syllables, words and sentences correctly and easily.
- Based on a collection of literally millions of speech samples, our proprietary speech-recognition algorithms and speech models were engineered with a singular purpose–to help you communicate with accuracy, confidence and ease.
Practice with native speakers in our live interactive sessions and our online community. Every conversation gives you the confidence to communicate in your new language.
- For many, traditional language-learning fails because it lacks real conversation. With Rosetta Stone you’ll play games and chat with native speakers and other learners in our online language community.
- Hundreds of native-speaking tutors trained in the Rosetta Stone method are ready to help reinforce the language you’re learning through live, online conversations. From Day One you’ll be speaking your new language with confidence and ease.
List Price: $ 449.00
Price: $ 279.00