Some cool africa images:
Image by T U R K A I R O
In this margin of the world, two globalizations are at work. The hegemonic globalization with its conflicts, its capital, its G7, World Bank, IMF validation is already peering at potential benefits on Gambella. The federal power just cleaned up Gambella to open the way for the big machines of globalization. Malaysian oil explorations (the secret of its discovery is well kept), Chinese investors (gold mining), Russian tourist hunters (Africa=wildlife=game), Ethio-Saudi investors on large cotton plants are at work; without regard for the people of Gambella.
Meanwhile, the counter-hegemonic globalization of the insurgent cosmopolitism is trying to tackle the unequal exchanges. Several local NGOs, ‘eccentric’ anthropologists, ‘wacky’ engineers are trying to promote ‘community based conflict resolution’, ‘grass roots development’… They intend to reverse the negative effects of cattle and land tenure, resources scarcity instead-of-its-abundance, etc. Some real good small scale projects for the people are at stake.
(to be continued)
Image by The Pack
Here’s how it works:
a. Type your answer to each of the questions below into Flickr Search.
b. Using only the first page, pick an image.
c. Copy and paste each of the URLs for the images into fd’s mosaic maker).
There’s a group you can add it to, as well.
1. What is your first name?
2. What is your favorite food?
3. What high school did you go to?
4. What is your favorite color?
5. Who is your celebrity crush?
6. Favorite drink?
7. Dream vacation?
8. Favorite dessert?
9. What you want to be when you grow up?
10. What do you love most in life?
11. One Word to describe you.
12. Your flickr name. (kid version: favorite animal?)
1. Honey Bunny Rio & Karen, 2. Rubio’s Fish Tacos, 3. quietly magnificent, 4. drops in drops, 5. Shomeone Sheems to have Shaved my Shest Hair, 6. Drink Dr. Pepper!, 7. Savoir Vivre… hmmmmmm, 8. homemade berry ice cream, 9. Purple sensation, 10. www.flickr.com/photos/johnydaystudio/2408924699/, 11. Warming Planet, 12. My Dream, Cleetje
Created with fd’s Flickr Toys.
Expedition members, all wearing ties
Image by The Field Museum Library
Five expedition members, all wearing ties (2 with bow ties) and pith helmets. Wilfred Osgood at far right, Louis Agassiz Fuertes in middle. 1927.
Name of Expedition: Daily News Abyssinian Expedition
Participants: Wilfred Osgood, Louis Agassiz Fuertes, C. Suydam Cutting, Jack Baum, Alfred M. Bailey
Expedition Start Date: September 7, 1926
Expedition End Date: May 20, 1927
Purpose or Aims: Zoology Mammals and Birds
Location: Africa, Ethiopia [Abyssinia]
Original material: 4×5 inch interpositive film
Digital Identifier: CSZ55331
Learn more about The Field Museum’s Library Photo Archives.